Expert Info

Posted by 9463chick
on 21 Jul 2018

Hi There!

Moving to Italy in late fall and I am a dual US/EU citizen who has never full time lived in the EU before. I have an apartment in Monforte d'Alba for a year but how does one go about getting health coverage? Will I need to go the private route or can I qualify for public health care? Information on the web is veru conflciting so I am at a loss. Also, is it best to keep US health insuarncewhile I am traversing twhat I anticipate is this quagmire?

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can give as I am on my 19th nervous breakdown but looking forward to this great adventure! 

Daniela de Castro on 24 Jul 2018 - 08:34

Hi there

Getting comprehensive health coverage when moving to a foreign country can be a complicated process. Luckily, as you are an EU citizen you should be able to access healthcare in Italy without too many problems. Do you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)? If you do, you will be entitled to the same level of care that you would get from your EU home country while you are in Italy.

Many expats opt to use private healthcare over and above the government healthcare provided in Italy. This will give you access to private hospitals and shorter waiting lists. Have a look at our guide to healthcare in Italy for more information on the options that are available to you.

- Daniela