Visas for Iraq

Because of Iraq's volatile security situation, most governments advise their citizens against all but essential travel to Iraq. Expats who move to Iraq do so for lucrative short-term employment contracts. In this case, the employer takes responsibility for applying for a work permit.

Visitor visas for Iraq

Most foreigners need to secure a visa before arriving in Iraq. This is also true for the Kurdistan Region of Iraq. Visas for Iraq can be applied for at the Iraqi embassy within the expat's home country. Travellers must be in possession of a passport valid for a minimum period of six months from the date of entry in Iraq.

Work permits for Iraq

Expats moving to Iraq to take up a job offer will have their employer carry the burden of applying for their visa. The employer will act as sponsor for the expat and will need to provide a motivational letter to the Iraq Ministry of Foreign affairs.

The work permit needs to be applied for before the expat arrives in Iraq. Work permits are usually issued for a period of three months after which they can be extended. Workers who plan to stay for longer than six months are advised to apply for a residency permit.

Exit visas for Iraq

Foreigners who remain in Iraq for more than 10 days will require an exit stamp to leave the country. The expat's sponsor, who is usually their employer, must apply for an exit visa through the Residency and Immigration Office. A letter will be required stating the start and end date of employment in Iraq.